Chaga Mushroom – History and Facts
Known as Inonotus obliquus in scientific literature, Chaga is perhaps one of the most potent medicinal mushrooms known so far. Due to its bark-like appearance on birch trees (Chaga mushroom’s most preferred host) and the hard sclerotium, a kind of fruiting body, it forms, Chaga is generally not considered an edible mushroom. It may not be a culinary mushroom, but it definitely is edible! Especially indigenous Siberian people, who live in close relation with the surrounding natural environment, include all kinds of mushrooms in their daily diet. There Chaga’s wide range of applications is well known. For hundreds of years (early records date back to the 16th century), perhaps even a lot longer, it was used as a source of vital nutrients.
Traditional Chaga Extraction Methods
- Chaga tea – tea made by slowly brewing Chaga sclerotium/fruiting body, broken into chunks, for a long period of time is by far the most popular way of its folklore use. Put simple, it is a basic water extraction, an excellent way to get the polysaccharides. Chaga was also used as a “disinfectant”, water boiled with the mushroom chunks was used for washing babies after birth. Such use should be of no surprise – first, boiled water is sterile, second, Chaga extract possesses antifungal and antibacterial properties.
Chaga alcohol tincture – another popular folklore use of Chaga was grinding its fruiting bodies and putting them into flasks with vodka, as well as other kinds of strong alcohol. People found that consuming these tinctures helped them soften pain, heal faster, feel more wide awake.
Chaga as a food ingredient – fine powder of sclerotium chunks used to be added to soups and stews giving a nice, lightly sweetish flavour and making the meal medicinal.
Dual Chaga Extract – Bioactive Components
Chaga as double or dual extract is a combination of hot water extract (for all beneficial water-soluble components) and alcohol extract (for the triterpenes and polyphenols). After numerous studies during the past 50 years, science has found that Chaga extracts contain components charged with beneficial properties. In a nutshell, here is a list of their main bioactive components:
Chaga extract polysaccharides – Chaga has significant levels of the well-known immune-supporting 1,3-1,6 beta-D-glucans.
- Chaga triterpenes – having powerful anti-inflammatory and antitumour properties. The triterpenes/triterpenoids (with fat-like structure) are the main Chaga compounds subject to alcohol/ethanol extraction.
- Chaga mushroom polyphenols – possessing antioxidant and rejuvenating properties. This group of actives is one of the main reasons for Chaga’s famous longevity promoting effects.
How to Take Nutri-Fungi’s Medicinal Mushroom Chaga Extract
We only offer high potency organic certified extracts. They are rich in active ingredients and are very easy to take. Our suggestion is you start with 1-3 grams/daily and see how it feels. Some people like to take the extracts straight into the mouth and swallow with water or any other liquid. Others like to put them in shakes or smoothies, also hot drinks or breakfast cereals. As it usually feels different from person to person we encourage you to explore and find what works best for you (our Chaga dual extract tastes bitter as dark chocolate).
It might be a good idea to take the medicinal mushroom extract powder earlier in the day rather than later. As often people report they get an energy boost it is good to keep that in mind. Furthermore mushrooms act as prebiotics for the GIT bacteria. So if you would consider that bit important you could take some extract first thing in the morning or in between regular meals, on an empty stomach.
Mushroom extract vs. Mushroom powder
If you are looking to buy medicinal mushroom extract online in the UK – then you are at the very right place. Please consider all our products – we only sell high quality medicinal mushroom extracts in powder form. We test all of our extract for active ingredients. On the label we are listing on the minimum guaranteed content of them. Nutri-Fungi’s product are 100% organic. Many companies sell Chaga powder – so please watch out! Non-extracted Chaga powder, Reishi powder or any other mushroom powder have little or no health benefits. The golden rule – mushrooms extract powder is the beneficial one.
Another way to learn more about what we do and how we do it is to visit our Nutri-Fungi Youtube Channel. You will be able to see images and videos of real medicinal mushrooms. Some of them are cute Lion’s mane mushroom, beautiful Reishi, Chaga, Shiitake and other.
Mushroom Extracts and Contraindications
One common thing about medicinal mushrooms is that they offer an incredibly wide range of health benefits and usually have no adverse effect. However, just like any other concentrated food product, the experience may vary from one person to another. For this reason we suggest you to monitor yourself. In case you experience an adverse effect – please stop taking the extract. Remember – you know your body better than anyone else and it is your privilege to care for yourself!
- The above listed information is purely for educational purposes.
- Please consume our products along with healthy and balanced diet.
- None of our products mean to prevent, treat or cure a disease or condition.
Please share your experience on our facebook page. We put a lot of effort to come up with these great organic medicinal mushroom extracts and your feedback is important to us!